References and Resources
References and Resources I have found helpful:
A Guide to Walking the Labyrinth to Heal and Transform, New York, The Berkley Publishing Group, 2006.
Rediscovering the Labyrinth as a Spiritual Tool, New York, Riverhead Books, 2005.
• Benson, Herbert, The Relaxation Response, New York, HarperTouch, 2000.
• Benson, Herbert, Beyond The Relaxation Response, New York, Berkley Publishing Group, 1985.
• Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists. (1997). Enabling Occupation: An Occupational Therapy Perspective. Ottawa: CAOT Publications.
• Drew, Naomi, The Peaceful Classroom in Action, Torrence California, Jalmar Press, 1999.
• Esch, T., Fricchione, G., Stefano, G. The Therapeutic Use of Relaxation Response in Stress-related Diseases. Medical Science Monitor. Vol. 9 No. 2: RA23-34, 2003.
• Esch T., Stefano G., Fricchione G., Benson H., The Role of Stress in Neurodegenerative Diseases and Mental Disorders. NEUROENDOCRINOLOGY LETTERS including Psychoneuroimmunology, Neuropsychopharmacology, Reproductive Medicine, Chronobiology and Human Ethology ISSN 0172-780X NEL Vol.23 No.3, June 2002
• Engquist, D.E., Short-DeGraff, M., Gliner, J., & Oltjenbruns, K. (1997). Occupational therapists’ beliefs and practices with regards to spirituality and therapy. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 51, 173-180
• Hart, Sura & Kindle Hodson, Victoria, The Compassionate Classroom, Relationship Based Teaching and Learning, 2004, Puddle Dancer Press, CA
The Wisdom Codes-ancient words to rewire our brains and heal our hearts, Hay House Publishing , California 2020
The Polyvagal Theory in Therapy- Engaging the Rhythm of regulation, Norton & Co, New York 2018
Dead but not Gone: Are you part of the Soul Bridge to Guide them Home? Putnam Productions, Feb 2018
Utilizing Finger Labyrinths To Promote Brain Synchrony. Annals of the American Psychotherapy Association. Sept / Oct 2002, p 22 - 23.
An important therapeutic tool. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 40(3), 120-122.
Functional brain mapping of the relaxation response and meditation. NeuroReport. Vol. 11 No 7. 15 May 2000.
The Spirituality of Mazes & Labyrinths, Kelowna, B.C.: Woodland Lake Books inc., 2005.
Questions for Ariadne-The Labyrinth and the End of Times, Oolichan Books, Jan 1st 2019
Reflections on the C Word- At the Centre of the Cancer Labyrinth, Hedgerow Press, 2007
An innovative therapeutic tool for problem solving or achieving mental focus. Family Journal: Counselling & Therapy for Couples & Families. Vol. 12(3), 287-291
• Rayne, Aryana, Labyrinths of British Columbia-A Guide for Your Journey, Victoria, BC. Somewhere on the Path publishing, 2010
• Rosenberg, Marchall B. Nonviolent Communication, A Language of life, Puddle Dancer Press, 2005
Clinical Applications of the Polyvagal Theory: The Emergence of Polyvagal-Informed Therapies, Norton &Co, New York June 2018
Learning with the Labyrinth: Creating Reflective Space in Higher Education, Palgrave Macmillan, April 2016
Spirituality in Enabling Occupation: A Learner-Centred Workbook, Ottawa, ON: CAOT Publications ACE, 1999.
Ancient pathways of wisdom and peace,Sydney, Australia: Lansdowne Publishing Pty Ltd, 2001.
The Role of Spirituality in Occupational Therapy Practice. Occupational Therapy Now. March / April , 6-9.
Compiled by Holly Carnegie Letcher OT, Updated May 2020
School Resource List for Labyrinth Use
Saward, Jeff--Ancient Labyrinths of the World, Caerdroia A brief and comprehensive look at labyrinths: what they are and where they are. Very good for culture and history
Hancock, Gael D.--108 Ways to Use Labyrinths in Schools Lots of practical ideas for group and classroom implementation. Grouped in curriculum categories.
Beacon Press, Boston 2001
A beautiful collection of articles that encourages schools to be "soulful places of learning where the spiritual dimension is welcomed."
This is a wonderful children’s story written and illustrated by the Letcher children. It is about the journey of a Nature Fairy searching for her “path”. This tale of friendship, feelings and connection occur on the Labyrinth. This is a gentle and joyful introduction to an ancient tool that promotes relaxation, peace and wellness.
Leihuna Enterprises, 2002
Lots of photographs, drawings, local labyrinths, art, poems.
Leihuna Enterprises, 2001, 2002
Exploring the Construction and Use of Labyrinths as a Tool for Increasing Fine Motor, Visual Perceptual and Gross Motor Skills in the Classroom
*There are many more excellent resources that exist. This list is just a beginning to help you on your way.
Compiled by Holly Carnegie Letcher, Oceanside Pathways 2 Wellness-Holistic Health Services,